Sunday, February 13, 2011

Bright white snow

Outside with the sun and the bright white snow, there is a lot of light.  Which means, I have a lot of options with my camera when I'm shooting out there.  I can make the shutter speed super fast or I can make the aperture super small (which is a higher number... aperture is confusing.)
It was beautiful outside yesterday (and today, for that matter.  I'm talking temps in the high THIRTIES!  YES!), so me and Weazy wandered around the yard, taking pictures, throwing snowballs, and watching melting icicles.
 Here are two pictures from yesterday where exposure is involved, and I just thought I'd share my thoughts on these pictures (both SOOC).


In the first picture, my aperture was lower, and I set it higher in the second picture. (there's depth of field involved here, but that's another topic for another time)
The technical part of me (EVERYTHING MUST BE PERFECTLY EXPOSED!) likes the second picture much better.  But the creative part of my kind of prefers the first one.
Now why would I like such an overexposed picture?  It's way too bright!
With snow pictures, I actually really like them to be a little overexposed for some reason.  The contrast is higher, and the snow is incredibly bright which I think looks kind of cool. 

What are your thoughts?

1 comment:

Julia said...

I like both of them, but I think I like the first one better, actually. It really depends on what you're looking for in a picture... but I love the super blue sky and the brightness of the first one.

But then again, this is Julia talking. Sooooooooo.... I don't know if I would pay attention to a word she says because she probably doesn't know what she's talking about. :)

Conclusion- I love them both but I love the first one a teensy bit better!